Thursday, February 2, 2012

Choo-choo

Back when I worked at Campus Bikes, I palled around with one of the part-time mechanics quite a bit.  He was a teacher, during the school year, and worked at the bike shop during the summer.

Just after I left Campus, he invited me to go to a New Year's Eve party at the house of the woman he was dating, at the time.  I found her to be a little pretentious, but free food and drink can make up for a lot of that.

After we had arrived and parked the motorcycles, we were being introduced around.  The girlfriend steered us toward a pompous-looking guy in  suit and tie.

"This is Andre.  He's a conductor!"

"Wow!"  I said with enthusiasm.  "I've always wanted to meet a conductor!"

Andre swelled a little, with pride.  He deflated a bit when I added, "I just love trains!  What railroad are you with?"

"I conduct an orchestra," he said, his face reddening, a bit.

"Gosh, I didn't know they had orchestras on trains,"  I replied.  "Do you have a special orchestra car?"

A vein was popping out on his forehead.

Andre said, through gritted teeth, "I don't work for a railroad!  I conduct an orchestra!"

"Do they play while you punch the tickets?"  I asked, pretending to not hear him.

By this time, people were snickering around us, and Andre was mad enough that he just walked off and left us standing there.

I'm not sure why I felt like I had to goof on Andre, like that.  I ended up talking to him, later, and he was actually a pretty decent guy.

Sometimes, I just get in those moods.

x

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do that with a straight face.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great-grandma went to her grave believing that my grandpa was a train driver because that was the only "engineer" she ever knew about.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.