Monday, January 2, 2012

Tempo

Once I had gotten to the point that I was comfortable riding the rollers, I began to listen to music as I rode.  It helped to pass the time, and just generally made life on the rollers more pleasant.

One of the things that I found was that time seemed to pass more quickly when the music was fast-tempo stuff.  So, I listened to a  lot of Van Halen, Reverend Horton Heat, The Ramones, and such.  It never occurred to me that the music not only made the time go by more quickly, but it also made me ride faster.

One day, not too long before I bought my house, I was riding the rollers in the dining room area of the apartment on Sherman Street.  At that time, I was heavily into Stevie Ray Vaughan.  His early albums had been remastered and re-released on CD, so it was more convenient to listen to him than it had been when I had most of his stuff only on vinyl.  I was listening to the "Couldn't Stand the Weather" CD as I rode.

One of my favorite songs on that album is "Tin Pan Alley".  It is dark and moody, and has a terrific guitar solo in it, as well as some of Stevie's best vocals, ever.  The problem is, it is also a rather slow song. 

I got into a near-trance state, as usual when riding on the rollers, and I was really digging the song.  Unconsciously, I slowed my pedal cadence as the song went on.  I pedaled more slowly, and more slowly.  Then, when the song ended, I stopped pedaling altogether.

As the bike started wobbling on the rollers, I snapped out of my reverie, and desperately tried to regain equilibrium.  Unfortunately, I ended up on the floor, with a nice chunk out of my right shin.

I put "Van Halen II" in the CD player before I got back on the bike.

Lsson learned...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.