Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day Ride

The first year that we lived in Columbus, Ohio, corresponded with the first year that I owned a mountain bike.  We did our normal New Year's Eve partying, and got home at about 3:00 in the morning.  I woke up at about 11:00, and in an effort to allay my hangover, I got on my bike and took a ride.

Oddly, the exercise made me feel better, and I decided that taking a ride on the first day of the year might be a good idea.  So, I made a tradition of it, even though I rarely do any partying on new Year's Eve, nowadays.  In the past 24 years, I have only missed a couple of New Year's Day rides because I was out of town without a bike (and, once, I was sick).

For a while, I incorporated the mountain bike club into the ride.  These last few years, I have let it be known that I would leave from the coffee shop at a certain time, and I invited anyone who wanted to go to accompany me.  But, the last two years have been disappointing.  Last year, only one person showed up.  So, this year, I just took a little ride by myself.

I like starting the year with a ride.  It just seems to set a good precedent for the year.

x

1 comment:

  1. Kyle got the 29er out and went for a ride today - I guess he got that habit from you!
    --Joy

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.