Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Documentation

It's funny to think about how many photos and videos of bikes and bike rides exist on the internet.  The digital camera revolution changed the way that we think of documenting our rides.  As Bike Snob NYC says, "If a fixed gear rider doesn't video his trip, did he actually ride?"

Back in the day, we didn't take nearly as many photos of our bikes, our rides or each other.  In the Dark Ages of my youth, and up to just a very few years ago, if you wanted to take pictures you had to purchase a camera and film, then pay again for processing the film and printing the photos.

Then, if you wanted to share those pictures, you either had to lug a photo album around and show them to everyone, or you could use a photocopier to badly reproduce them and mail out a newsletter-style document.  In that case, you got to pay, once again, this time for copies, stamps and envelopes.

How much easier it is, today:  Buy a digital camera and a memory card, and you are done.  Take hundreds of photos, load them to your computer and then post them on a blog or email them to everyone you know.

I sort of wish that we had that technology when I was a kid.  I don't have a single photo of my Spyder Bike, nor any film of the rides I took all over the area around Calvert City, Kentucky.  I don't even have a photo of the Hideout, at the Dead-End in Donelson.

I guess that everyone takes all of the documentation for granted, nowadays, and it's only dinosaurs such as myself who even think about it.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.