Sunday, December 11, 2011

Two Degrees

Oh, no!  Not another story about riding in cold weather!

No.  Actually, it's about Kevin Bacon.

I'm sure you have heard of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game, where you try to connect Kevin Bacon to another actor in fewer degrees of separation than the other guy playing, or you try to come up with an actor who has no connection, in order to stump your competition.  For instance, connect Kevin Bacon and Sean Connery.

Sean was in "Wrong Is Right" with Mickey Jones who was in "Pyrates" with Kevin Bacon.  Sean Connery has a Bacon Number of 2.

So do I.

In 1986, Kevin Bacon made a movie called "Quicksilver" in which he played a stock trader who, after losing all of his and his parents' money, becomes a bike courier.  In a scene at the beginning of the movie, Kevin Bacon is riding in a cab and pays the cabbie to try and keep up with "the messenger in the maroon beret".  That messenger (in the maroon beret) was played by Nelson Vails, who had won a silver medal in the 1984 Summer Olympics for the individual sprint track race.  (He was also an ex-bike messenger.)

In 1994 (or 1995...I forget), I was working at Destinations when I heard the front door open.  I looked up, and who should walk into our shop but The Cheetah, himself:  Nelson Vails.

Nelson was a sales rep for some energy gel, or something, at that time and he was making a sales call.  We talked for a while about this and that, and then he went into the office with Scott to do his job.

So, I have a Kevin Bacon number of 2...which gives me a Sean Connery number of 4, I suppose.

Hmmm...

x

1 comment:

  1. Which makes my Sean Connery number 5 -- woo hoo!
    -Joy

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.