Friday, December 23, 2011

Sometimes, Bicycling Seems a Bit Expensive

About 12 or 13 years ago, I bought a 1983 Volkswagen GTi from Jesse Swift.  It was well-used, but I got it cheap and really enjoyed driving it.  I ended up passing it along to Per and Stefan Wigand, after a while, for the same price I had paid Jesse.

I was working at Destinations, at the time, and I had just gotten divorced.  Money was tight…well, money was pretty much non-existent.  I was using my credit card to buy groceries, because rent and other bills took the whole paycheck, most months.  I had bought the car in an effort to cut my gas usage.  The 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 was only getting about 11 mpg, around town.

It so happened that I wore the tires out on my mountain bike, not too long after I got the GTi.  I preferred Continentals, at the time, so I called up the rep and ordered a pair.  Even at Employee Price, the pair of tires cost me $90.00!

So, you can imagine my trepidation when I noticed that the rear tires on the GTi were worn out and needed to be replaced.  I went to the tire shop, told them what I needed, and asked for a quote on some usable tires.

I was a bit shocked when the quote for two car tires, with balancing and installation, came out to $5.00 less than what my mountain bike tires had cost me at wholesale.

The economy of scale, I suppose…

x

1 comment:

  1. I paid $110 for a pair of good Contis recently, so I guess inflation isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.