Monday, December 12, 2011

Can I Get a Push?

When I was 3 and 4 years old, we lived in a duplex in the same Donelson, Tennessee, neighborhood in which Momma and Daddy later bought our first house.  This was just east of Nashville, on I-40, which was under construction. 

As a matter of fact, all of the Interstates which now criss-cross Nashville each ended at the edge of town.  So, to get from I-40 to I-65, you had to drive surface streets through town, then pick up the southbound highway on the outskirts of the city.

I mention this, because that was what we did 3 weekends out of four, heading to Hohenwald to visit our grandparents and other relatives.  It was an 80-mile, one-way, drive which ended up taking about 2 hours, back in those days.

One of my earliest specific memories is of the first time I took my little red trike to Hohenwald.

We were getting ready to make the trip south, and I asked Daddy if I could take my tricycle.  I had really been enjoying riding it, and I didn't want to do without it for a whole weekend.  Daddy said yes, so I ran out and got the tricycle, ready to go.

I pushed the trike into the driveway, got on it, and started to go.  I was pretty sure I knew all of the turns, so I wasn't too concerned about getting lost.  But, as I thought it through, I realized it was a pretty good distance to pedal, all under my own power.

So, I yelled for my sister to come and give me a push.  That's how I usually got up the hill, coming back from Donna Seahorn's house, so I figured it was the best way to make the 80 miles to grandma's.

I was pretty disappointed when Daddy just laughed, made me get off of the trike, and then threw it into the trunk of the '64 Fairlane.  I had really been looking forward to the ride...

x

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I wonder how many of us are pedal freaks from way back. I know the bike has been important to me since as far back as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We so could have made it. I know that I knew all the turns (after all, I was 7 then) and I would have let you stop at the Gravity Shack and Earlie's Cider Stand, too.
    --Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. And look where you are now.


    When I was about the same age, I decided to wear a wonderful dress to my friend's birthday party but I got dressed too early and needed to kill time. Time was killed by getting out my Big Wheels and riding down the driveway. I stopped pretty quick because I felt something tugging on my dress. It was the back wheel which had ripped a hole right through that sucker. I think I only wore that dress for 20 minutes in its entire life.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.