Thursday, December 1, 2011

Business...Your Own...Mind It

I was riding down Parker Road, heading north to the bike shop and another day at work.  As I approached Pine Lane, riding very close to the white line at the edge of the road, a car pulled up beside me.  The woman driving it rolled down the passenger's side window.

"You shouldn't be riding a bicycle here!"  she shouted.

"Why not?"  I replied, as she paced me in her car. 

"It's not legal.  You're not supposed to ride on the road!"  She was yelling very loudly, almost screaming, even though she was only about 10 feet from me.

"It's legal in all 50 states, " I told her.  "Uniform Vehicle Code.  Look it up."

"You shouldn't be riding here.  It's not safe!"

"It would be  hell of a lot safer for me if people like you would pay more attention to what you're doing, and worry less about what I'm doing."

At that, she rolled her window up and floored the accelerator.

I have to admit that I felt safer, once she was gone.

x

1 comment:

  1. You just made an argument in favor of wearing earphones with distracting music at high volume. It'd be easier to simply wave back nicely.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.