Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sometimes, A Cigar Is Just a Cigar

I have a couple of favorite rides, here in Denver.  They aren't my favorites because of where they go (they are just on the way to various places, depending on the turns you make), and it isn't because they are epic (they average about 1-1/2 miles, each).  So, why are they favorites?

Tunnels.

These rides are not along railroad grades, with holes punched through the living rock of the mountainside.  They are just rides down neighborhood streets, over-arched by trees from both sides.  As you ride down the street in the Spring and Summer, you are in a leafy tunnel of cooling shade.  Errant bits of sunlight fall through and splash on the pavement under your wheels, and the air had a green glow as though you are riding through a cloud of biofluorecscent plankton in an atmospheric ocean.

One of these rides is along Iliff Avenue, between Colorado Boulevard and University Boulevard.  It is one of my routes to the coffee shop, from my house.  Yet, I rarely ride it.  It is too close, and too easy to get to. I don't want it to become mundane, so I save it for special occasions.  Riding it as a rarity keeps it special.

Familiarity breeds contempt.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Too much of a good thing is bad...for whatever reason, I don't take that route very often.

But, I know it's there if I need it.

x

2 comments:

  1. Out here on the prairie, most of the landscape is treeless pasture. But some of the roads drop down near the creeks where the trees are. As in your case most of these wonderful tree tunnels are short, but I treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree tunnels are nicest on those really HOT days.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.