Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bring Yer Own, Next Time

One of the guys who rode with the club was a water mooch.  Despite me telling him (and everyone else) week after week to bring enough water for an all-day ride, he consistently showed up with two water bottles on his bike, and nothing else.  Invariably, before the day was out, he would come to me and bum some water out of my 100-ounce capacity CamelBak.

Now, I am many things, but water-mule is not one of them.

Finally, I had had enough, so I filled a water bottle and put it in my holder on the seat tube, just for this guy.

Sure enough, 3/4 of the way through the ride, he pulled up beside me and casually mentioned how he was out of water.

"Here,"  I said, handing him the bottle I had filled for him.  "Take this."

"Thanks," he said, with a smile.

He didn't smile for long as, on his first big gulp, he found that I had filled the bottle with cheap tequila.  It had a rather explosive effect on him.

"Oh, sorry,"  I said, as he retched on the side of the trail.  "I filled that one up for after the ride.  My mistake."

I then gave him a bottle of actual water, and the ride went on.

He never asked me for water, again, after that.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.