Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Of One-Handed Knives and Automatic Shifter

I am a pocket knife guy,from way back.  I got my first pocket knife when I was five years old, and I have carried one, ever since.  I snuck around with my knife in grade school(s), and actually got a pass to carry one in highschool.

When I first worked in a warehouse, I saw a need for a knife I could open with one hand.  I would hang from a warehouse rack, pull out a box I needed to open, and then fumble around trying to get my knife open so that I could cut the tape.

It was at that time that  I finally justified buying myself a switchblade.

The bicycle equivalent of a switchblade is a LandRider auto-shift bike.

If you have insomnia, you have probably seen the LandRider infomercial.  The makers claim that it is a pro-level racing mountain bike, and the answer to the prayers of all those who are too uncoordinated ot stupid to learn how to shift a real bike's gears.

We got a couple of these "bikes" in for repairs during the time I worked at Destinations Cyclery.  Not only were they crap bikes, but the auto-shift mechanism was, at best, randomly effective.

A $3.00 ebBay switchblade is more effective than these bikes.  And, it would be way more likely to entertain a bike shop mechanic..

x

1 comment:

  1. At work we have some bikes people can borrow to go between the different office buildings we have throughout the city. They bought like 3 of those automatic shifter bikes...which totally don't work. The shifting is all jacked up - it shifts when it senses there's not enough tension on the chain, but it refuses to downshift when you're going up hills (because there's tension on the chain). Dumb, dumb, dumb. I mean I don't use the clicker shifters, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to figure it out within a couple of minutes of riding the bike which trigger did what.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.