Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Managed To Not Say...

...I told you so!

When people brought small kids into the bike shop, we always enjoyed watching the youngsters check out all of the brightly-colored items on the shelves.  Horns would get get beeped, bells would be jingled and the little ones generally ended up trying out the little training wheel bikes around the shop, with help from mom or dad.

Occasionally, though, a bad parent would bring their kid/kids in, and all hell would break loose.  I don't blame the children.  As I alluded to, before, there was a lot of kid-style stimulation to be found in a bike shop.  The problem was that the parents couldn't be bothered to keep up with what the kids were doing.

Some of these bad parents expected us employees to babysit for them, while they shopped.  Others apparently just forgot, altogether, that their offspring even existed.

One day, a couple came in with their 3-year-old daughter.  Mom deposited the little girl on the floor, near the kid's bikes, and walked away with hubby to check out the adult bikes.  Of course, being a 3-year-old, the girl immediately began pulling items from the display hooks and throwing them in the floor.

I walked over to her, and squatted down to talk to her.  I calmly spoke to her about not making a mess, as I hung stuff back up.  Then, I took her hand and led her over to mom and dad.

I left her with them, and went back to what I was doing.

The scene was repeated twice more, once by me and once by another employee.  Mom and dad weren't taking the hint.

Eventually the bored little girl began running around the display racks, going "Whee, whee, whee" like the proverbial little pig.  I looked over at her parents, and mom just gave the "What can you do?" shrug.

Just then, a thump and a blood-curdling scream came from the sales floor.  I turned back, and there was the girl, blood flowing down her face, screaming her head off.  She had run headlong into the corner of a display shelf.

That, at least, got mom and dad's attention.

And it got the girl some stitches.

But, it didn't sell any bikes for us...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.