Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cross Check

I had one of the original generation Surly CrossCheck framesets, eleven or twelve years ago.  I bought it because it was just about the only reasonably-priced true cross frame/fork combination on the market, at that time.  I think I paid $225, or thereabouts, for it as an employee.

I built it up with my Campy Racing Triple group, which I had put together through the years, and used it as a commuter/mountain bike.  I only raced it once, though, mainly because I found it to be a bit heavy.  As a matter of fact, I never really got the bike set up to where I enjoyed riding it.

Eventually, I had cantilever mounts added to my LeMond Zurich frame, and put a cross fork on it.  Then, I transferred the Campy equipment to it and built the Surly up with assorted parts I had lying about in my parts stash.  I sold it to a kid who worked with me at Campus, for $250.00, and put it behind me.

Now, before you get all upset that I am trash-talking Surly, keep in mind I have only said that I couldn't get satisfied with it.  I don't think it was a bad frame.  The kid I sold it to lost it to his dad.  Dad took a ride on the Surly and pretty much just claimed it for his own.  I still bump into him at the coffee shop, occasionally, and he always tells me how much he loves that bike.

It's funny how some bikes are just perfect for some people, but just really don't float the boat for others.

I guess that's why there are so many different bikes on the market; huh?

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.