Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Walking the Dog

I know that there are products for walking the dog while you ride the bike.  I think they are a bit goofy, and probably more that a little dangerous, despite the "safety features" which the manufacturers tout in their literature.  But even those products would be better than what Val tried, one time.

I walked outside just in time to see Val swing her leg over her bike.  She had Dave's leash looped around the stem of the bike.

"What do you think you are doing?" I asked, incredulous.

"Well, I can't walk him, so I'm going to ride with him.  It will be like having a motor on the hills."

Now, the problem that Val had with walking Dave, a 115-pound Yellow Lab mix, was that he would drag her down the dirt road until he was tired.  Val would dig her heels in, screaming at Dave to stop, and he would pull her along in the gravel as though she was water-skiing.

"I don't think this is a good idea,"  I said.

"You just think you're so much smarter than me!"

"No, I'm sure you're smarter than I am,"  I said.  "I just doubt your common sense, sometimes."

She turned away in a huff, and said to Dave, "Let's go!"

At that point, Dave took off like a bat out of hell.  Val made it almost to the end of the drive, with the rear brake locked and the bike fishtailing under her, before she fell off.

Dave didn't even slow down.  Val's bike tumbled merrily along at the end of his leash as the big dog took off down the road.

Luckily, he saw something in the trees that he wanted to chase;  perhaps a fox or a squirrel.  The bike caught between two trees and stopped Dave dead in his tracks.

After I checked to make sure Val was unhurt, I retrieved the dog and the bike.  Other than chewed up grips and a ripped seat on the bike, both of them were likewise none the worse for wear.

Val stomped into the house, as I put her bike up and unleashed Dave.  I was glad that she did, because I was barely able to hold the laughter back until the door closed behind her.

Laughing while she was still outside probably would not have been a good thing...

x

3 comments:

  1. This is why I always WALKED our dog. Thanks for the validation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would have been better to get a four wheeler, put it in neutral and let the dog pull you on that...

    but ya, I see this type of stuff kinda frequently down here - people who have dogs that don't heel decide that it will be better to ride a bike (or roller blades) with the dog next to them...or people who have dogs that don't respond to their names think that it's smart to let them off leash... There even was a guy last week who had a dog that didn't get along with other dogs and he thought it was smart to take the dog to the off-leash dog park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really a nice post, its always great reading such posts, this post is good in regards of both knowledge as well as information. Thanks for the post.

    dog walking

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.