Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Fish Ain't Bitin'

I was riding back down the access road at Waterton Canyon, one fine day, watching the fly-fishermen swing their rods.  Eventually, I pulled up at one spot to watch a guy cast, for a while.

From where I was, on the road above the river, I could see all the way to the bottom of the riverbed.  The guy fishing had a much more oblique angle, of course, and could only see the surface of the water.  That meant that he couldn't see what I could see;  three big trout hanging out on the downstream side of some rocks.

I sat on my bike, watching the fisherman's fly land 10 feet to one side of the three fish, over and over.  I considered telling him where the trout were hanging out, but I was enjoying watching them hold their position against the current.

Eventually, the guy plopped his lure down a few feet from the biggest of the three fish.  The fish swam toward it, seemingly sniffed it, then swam away from the fly and back to his original position.

I got back onto the seat of my mountain bike and continued on.  I wish, sometimes, that I was as savvy as that old trout had been, when it comes to passing up the fish hooks that life casts toward me.

x

2 comments:

  1. Great story. One of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I have been the fish that didn't bite, the fish that may have bitten the bait and the fisherman at different points in my life. Nice story!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.