Thursday, September 15, 2011

Apocalyptic Bikes

I read quite a bit, and i always have.  My tastes are pretty catholic, and I read fiction, non-fiction, short stories, novels, the phone book...whatever.

One thing I have noticed, through the years, is that a lot of authors recognize the value of bikes as transportation, even if American Culture, at large, does not.

In the The Stand, Stephen King has a number of his characters utilize bicycles for transport on their way to Boulder.  Later, a bike allows Tom Cullen to escape Las Vegas before its destruction.

I recently re-read War of The Worlds.  I noted that, during the panicked exodus from London, the bicyclists and the motorists were out in front of the flood of humanity fleeing the Martian invaders.  The narrator's brother rides a bike out of London, on a flat front tire, lacking any other transportation after the trains have ceased running.

I've often thought that I would be riding and fixing bikes in a post-apocalyptic world.  But, where would we get new tires and tubes, or chains, to maintain them?  I can see a Road Warrior scenario where, instead of gasoline, the marauders will be after bicycle parts.

Maybe I should write that screenplay...

x

1 comment:

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.