Friday, August 12, 2011

The Sad Story of My First Brooks Saddle

Wen I was 18, and heading off to college, I decided that I needed a 10-speed to get around campus.  Johnny, Wes and Jimmy all had one, so I didn't want to be left out.

At that time, there was a bicycle repair shop/used bike shop in a little shack behind the Ford dealer.  The guy who owned was a crusty old guy who bought bikes and yard sales and auctions, then fixed them up for repair.  In those pre-eBay days, that was how it was done.

So, I went to the little shack and told the guy what I was looking for, and how much money I had to spend.

"Got whutcha need," he said, and went to the back of the shop.  He returned with a red Triumph 10-speed, the same level bike as a Raleigh Grand Prix, with cottered cranks and chromed steel wheels.  And, it still had the original Brooks B-17 on the seat pin.

I paid him the princely sum of $30.00 (this was 1979, thirty bones was a pretty good chunk of change, when the minimum wage stood at $2.15/hour), and left.

I rode that bike a lot, especially Freshman Year, and everyone was appalled at my seat.  That was a time when the leather saddles were considered passe', and everyone wanted the padded plastic versions.  But, I like my Brooks, and I loved the way it looked, too.

After I got out of school, I didn't ride for a few years, and the bike was stored away.  In my late-20s, I came back around to pushbikes, and bought my first mountain bike.  Not long after that, I went and got the Triumph out of the shed.  Imagine my disappointment when I saw the Brooks saddle, curled up like an autumn leaf and completely useless!

It was years before I got another one...

x

1 comment:

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.