Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Now, Weight Just a Darn Minute!

I've fought with my weight my whole life.  When I was 6 or 7 years old, I was the skinniest kid in my class.  A couple of years later, I was the fattest.  Even though I was healthy weight, in high school, I felt fat, because all of my friends were skinny.

As an adult, my weight yo-yo'd up and down, from a high of 225 pounds to my comfortable weight of 165.  When Val and I moved to Colorado, in August of 1992, I weighed 190.  I wasn't completely out of shape, due to my growing love affair with the bike, but I was carrying a lot more weight than I was comfortable with.

I started working at Destinations Cyclery in February of 1993.  still weighing in at 190 pounds on the old bathroom scale.  By September of that year, I was down to 150.  Mountain biking five or six days a week, and racing whenever I could get a weekend day off put me in a calorie deficit, big-time.

It got to the point that I couldn't gain weight, even if I tried.  People started approaching me, concerned about whether I had cancer and just hadn't told them.

I told them I didn't have cancer, but I did have a sickness...I was suffering from bicycle fever!

I no longer have that "can't gain weight" problem,I'm hovering around 175, right now.   But, I do still have the fever.

x

1 comment:

  1. That's good fever. Guess you measure with pounds lost, instead of a thermometer :)

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.