Friday, August 19, 2011

Jon's Clubhouse

"I just don't like it," I overheard Scott's sister Catie say.  "Jon treats this shop like it's his clubhouse."

And, she was right.  I did treat the shop like it was my clubhouse.  I came into work at 9:30 (at the latest), and worked until 7:00 without a break.  During that time, I managed a shopful of mechanics, sold bikes, worked on bikes, and just generally put out fires, all day.

At the end of the day, after I locked up the shop and counted the money in the till, if I had something to do to my own bikes I used the shop to do it.  If friends called, looking for me, I would invite them down and we would drink beers, and talk bikes, and work on bikes.

The shop was my clubhouse, my home away from home.  I didn't realize it, at the time, but it was my safe haven, a place where I could relax and be myself, away from a marriage which was disintegrating around me.

Everyone should have a clubhouse, when they need it.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.