Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's All Downhill From Here

I have owned two different houses since I moved to Colorado, and each of them has been a training aid for a cyclist.  My first house, out in Elbert County, sat 1300 feet higher than the bike shop.  So, every trip home on the bike was hill-training.

But, at least it was an obvious climb.  The house I have now really doesn't seem to on top of a hill, if you drive to it.  But, if you ride a bike to it, from any direction, you go uphill.  The slope from Colorado Boulevard is subtle, and I have had people argue with me that it's not uphill.  I invite them to ride a bike a couple of blocks away, then come back.

The come back up the non-existent hill with a new respect for gradual elevation change.

It's amazing how different the world is from the seat of a bike!

x

1 comment:

  1. So true. It can be amazing how different the world is from the seat of a bike than from the seat of a bike going the other way.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.