Saturday, August 6, 2011

Confluence

Sometimes, things happen for a reason, even if we don't see it at the time.  Two lines of continuity cross, and a confluence occurs to produce a certain result.

One day, I happened to buy a kid's bike in a package deal.  I didn't need the bike, and I told the guy that he could keep it, if he wanted, but he insisted that I take it.

I put that bike in my storage building, and pretty much forgot about.

A couple of months l repaired  a bike for an acquaintance at the coffee shop, when he mentioned that his little boy needed a bigger bike.  Unfortunately, times were a little tough, and he was having to save up some money to get the new bike.

I went out to the storage building, and pulled out that kid's bike, and showed it to Dad.

"Would that work?"  I asked.

"Yeah," he said.  "What do you need for it?"

I told him to bring his little boy with him, when he picked up his repair, and we would figure it out.

The day came, and Dad and son showed up.  I pulled Dad's bike out, and we settled up.  Then, I pulled out the little bike.

"Try this out," I said to the 6-year-old.

"Really?" he asked, looking at Dad.

The look on his face, when his dad told him to take a ride, was priceless.  But, it didn't even compare to the look he gave me when I told him that his dad had bought the bike for him, and he cold take it home with him.

"I didn't pay you for that," Dad said, as his son took another spin on the bike.

"No, but your boy paid me plenty," I told him.

I like that kind of profit on a deal.

x

3 comments:

  1. Perfect, just perfect! What an awesome story.

    That confluence is still paying high rewards.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, Jon!
    Peace :)

    PS.
    "No act of kindness is ever wasted"

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.