Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Love a Parade

One year, I was invited to ride in the 4th of July parade in Parker.  Someone on the parade committee had heard about my high-wheeler, and they thought it would be cool to have me ride along behind the vintage cars, with the Cub Scouts on their bikes.

On the day of the parade, I got a bag of candy and mounted up.  The candy was for throwing into the crowd, and I was a little concerned that I might not be able to ride the bike and throw, at the same time.  So, I tried a trial run, and it went fine.

We rode along in the parade, and things went well.  The slow pace made it a bit challenging, but I managed to stay upright, while throwing candy to kids, without having to dismount.

The, the perfect storm hit.

The parade slowed, suddenly, in front of us, and I had to turn the wheel of the bike and ride at an angle to the street in order to keep from falling.  This happened just as I threw a handful of candy...and a  Cub Scout darted his bike in front of me.

I dropped my bag of candy, and banked the big wheel to the right, while I pedaled hard.  I've never actually leaned that bike over that far, in a turn, at any speed.  The crowd gasped, the scout on the little bike panicked and crashed, the crowd gasped and I...I pulled it off and managed to keep the high-wheeler upright and continue on my way.

The Cub Scout remounted and rode up beside me, and apologised.  I told him it was fine, and I was glad he was okay.  No harm done.

I didn't throw any more candy, though.

x

1 comment:

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.