Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Timberrrrrrr!

I am not a big fan of the bolt-on kid seats on bikes.  I know that lots of people, all over the world, use them and have good safe family fun, but they really just scare me.  Maybe if I didn’t have such a propensity for crashing, I would feel different.

I always preferred selling trailers to the people who wanted to take toddlers along.  I know that some are pretty expensive, but I always thought the extra cost would be worth it.  I’ve seen someone flip a Burley trailer on its side, only to have the 4 year-old inside call out, “Do it again, Daddy!”

I once got a bit of a reprimand, from  Scott, for down-selling the seats a little too much.  A lady had come in to look at kid seats, and trailers, and she was leaning toward purchasing  the bolt-on seat.  She asked me what I thought.

“Well,” I said, “I would get the trailer.  I am not comfortable with carrying a kid on the back of the bike.”

“But, I would put a helmet on him,” she said.

“Try this,” said.  “Put his helmet on him…”

“Yeah,” she said.

“Strap him into his high-chair…”

“Mmm-hmmm,” she nodded.

“Then push the chair over.”

She gave a little gasp, and went wide-eyed.  Scott, who had overheard the conversation came scurrying over, all apologetic that I had scared her, telling me that I was getting too graphic, etc.

The lady bought a trailer, though.

x

2 comments:

  1. Remind me never to buy a used car from you. VERY EFFECTIVE sales technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had one of those bolt-on bike seats for our daughter. I'd strap her in there (it's amazing how unbalanced the bike feels with that weight so high), put her helmet on, and take off. I never fell, and the bike never tipped over with her in the seat. But almost every time she rode in the seat, she would fall asleep, and her little head and that big helmet would bob all over. I quit taking her on bike rides when I got the horrible feeling that I could be damaging her little neck. She's all grown up now, though, no worse for wear!

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.