Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Testoterone Poisoning

I had a great deal of love and respect for the kids who worked for me, the last couple of years that I was at Destinations.  We had a good time, together, and we got a lot of work done.  One of the really fun things was, these guys who were 20 years my junior, accepted me as one of their own while still acknowledging that I had things to teach them.

Rubber bands played a large role in the service department at Destinations.  We made rubber band balls, and crossbows and all sorts of things out of the big rubber bands that the bike manufacturers used to secure things in the bike boxes.

One day, I had three or four rubber bands hooked together, and I shot it at Jesse Race.  He grabbed it up, and ran over to me, put the end of it against my chest and pulled back on it.

"Go ahead," I said, "I can take it."

So, he snapped me right in the chest with the big rubber bands.

"Is that all you've got?"  I sneered.

"Do it to me," Jesse said, sticking his chest out.

So, I snapped him.

Well, it became a thing with all of us, to see who could take the most snaps, before crying "Uncle".  We would even pull our shirts off, so that the tee-shirt material wouldn't cushion the blow.

There were many days when we all were walking around with welts on us, as if we had disobeyed an order on an Eighteenth Century British Navy ship.  And, we were all proud of those welts.

Man, I loved that time in my life!

x

1 comment:

  1. Evidently testosterone poisoning leads to amusing stories. Thanks for another one.

    ReplyDelete

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.