Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stoppies

If you ever watch the motorcycle stunt videos, you are bound to see many examples of the "stoppie", or "nose-wheelie".  It is de rigueur for those guys, and it is always a crowd pleaser.

That was a fact in 1974, as well.

I was still a few months away from getting my first motorcycle, and well on my way to destroying my sister's 10-speed, one day when I found this out first-hand.  I was hanging out with some kids over on Vine Street, when I accidentally lofted the rear wheel on the 10-speed, and rode for a few feet before it dropped back to the ground.

Everyone seemed impressed, so I decided to try it again.  I rode a few feet, grabbed the front brake and lifted the rear wheel, a little higher this time, and let go of the brake.  Amazingly, I managed to go 10 or 15 feet before the rear wheel came back down.

I couldn't ride a wheelie to save my life, but this "stoppie" thing was coming easy.  The other kids were impressed, and I was having a good time entertaining them.

Of course, third time's the charm...

I'm sure you can guess what happened on the third go-around.  I have to say, it seemed even more entertaining to the peanut gallery than the actual trick.

Always the entertainer...

x

1 comment:

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.