Monday, May 16, 2011

Today's Story Makes Me Sad and Angry

I apologize that today's story is not one from my personal repertoire.  It is a story of current events.

As I was getting ready for work, this morning, I had the Channel 9 news on, as usual.  Just before I left, there was a short mention of Breaking News:  A cyclist had been struck by a hit-and-run driver, about 3 miles west of where I cross under I-70.  Reports from the scene sounded grim.

That was on my mind as I rode to work.  I was hoping for the best, but not expecting it.  I couldn't help but feel a bit of survivor's guilt over the fact that I came out of my recent hit-and-run relatively unhurt.

I checked Yahoo News, when I got home, and the story was about as bad as it gets.  The cyclist, named David (I won't quote his last name, out of respect of his family's privacy) had died at the scene.  There were no witnesses, and a passerby had discovered him lying in the road.

David was 50 years old, my age, and I have to imagine that he rode to work for the same reasons I do.  His wife, who works in the same office, had driven the car to work, but David chose to ride the bike. 

I pray that his wife does not blame herself for not insisting that he ride with her.  She holds no blame, in this.  That all falls to the loser scum who ran a fellow human being down and didn't even have the decency to call an ambulance, much less stick around and face the consequences of his/her actions.

Please be careful out there.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.