Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mix and Match

I am a tinkerer, and always have been.  I was talking to my mom about working on my new motorcycle, a couple of days ago, and she commented on how I always disassembled my toys and mixed the parts up when I put them back together.  Then, they were my toys.

The first time I modified a bike in any significant way (other than removing chainguards and/or fenders), I was 12.  I was knocking around in the back yard, riding my 20" wheel Buzz bike, when Big Red caught my eye.  I don't know why, but I figured I needed to build a chopper out of the two bikes.

So, I got the tools out, and removed the front wheels and forks from the two bikes.  Then, I installed the 26" fork and wheel on the buzz bike.  With the 20" rear wheel, and the ape-hanger bars, the front end was quite impressive.  But, I decided that I was more into the "bobber" look than the ape-hanger scene, so I put the flatter, wide bars from big red on the chopper.

I was riding it up and down the street, imagining I was Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider", when Daddy got home from work.  He was, to put it mildly, less impressed with my handiwork than I was.  So, under strict orders, I swapped everything back to its original configuration.

Oddly, I've never built a chopper, since.  I'm, thinking that I see a new project looming on the horizon...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.