Monday, May 30, 2011

The Customer Is Not Quite Always Right

The guy and his wife were not pleasant to deal with.  They were buying four bikes, one for each of them, two for the kids, plus accessories, and seemed to think I should give them the shop.  They tried to talk me down on the price, every time I showed them something, and the wife was particularly aggressive about it.

I told her that I was giving them everything I could, without harming the bottom line of the shop.  It was a fairly sizable purchase, and I was working the pricing accordingly.

"You could give us another hundred dollars off, and I'd give you twenty-five for yourself.  Nobody would know," she said.  (No, I'm not making this up!)

I hope she understood the look I gave her, and the tone of my voice.

"I would know," I told her, and continued ringing stuff up.

When all was said and done, I gave them the total for their entire purchase.  Hubby pulled out his credit card.

"Give me three percent off and I'll pay cash," he said, dangling the card between his thumb and forefinger.  "You'll end up with the same amount.  You just won't pay the credit card company."

I snatched the card from his hand and swiped it.

"I'd rather pay the credit card processing fee than give you anything else," I said, staring right into his eye.

He blinked first.

I generally loved dealing with customers, even the difficult ones.  But, I was ready to throw these clowns out, by this point, and I didn't care if he signed the slip, or demanded a refund and left.

As it was, he and his wife loaded up their stuff and left.  We never saw them, again, and I can't say that we missed them.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.