Sunday, April 10, 2011

Solitaire Confinement

When I  was 7 or 8 years old, I decided I wanted to put a card in my spokes, like the older kids up the street.  But, not just any card would do.  It had to be the Ace of Spades.

So, I went in the house, found the playing cards, and pulled the Death Card out.  A couple of seconds with a clothespin later, and I was in business.

I went up to the Dead End, and clickety-clacked my way around for awhile.  All of the other kids admired my choice of card and, for once, I was the cool one.  But, pretty soon, the card got floppy, and wouldn't buzz against the spokes, no matter how I positioned it.  So, I tossed it in the culvert and forgot about it.

A few days later, my daddy was sitting at the table, playing Solitaire.  Game after game went by, without a win.  Eventually, he counted the cards and found there was only 51. 

"Well, no wonder I can't win," he said, slamming the cards down.

I was petrified that he was going to turn to me and ask why I had stolen the Ace of Spades out of the deck.  But, he just went and got a new, unopened, deck and continued playing.

I never told him that I had taken the card.  But, I did act grateful when he gave me the deck of 51 cards...in case I wanted to try putting a card in my bike spokes.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.