Thursday, March 3, 2011

Commuting As Therapy

A few years ago, I realized that I didn't really feel like myself, any more.  I was dissatisfied with my life, and just generally felt as though something was out of sync.  I wasn't able to put my finger on it, for a long time, but it finally came to me that I no longer felt like a a "cyclist". 

I was riding on the weekends, but that was about it. I had become a "guy that rides a bike", rather than a "cyclist".  And, while it may actually be a bit shallow of me, I really identify myself as a few "ists": bicyclist,, motorcyclist, guitarist, artist....You get the picture.

So, I started commuting to work.  At first, I only planned on riding every day in May (my birth month).  I found it so gratifying, that I just  kept doing it.

Now, my commute is a very important part of my life.  People ask me, in bad weather or when I'm obviously coming down with something, if I want a ride home.  I try to explain to them that the ride is not a burden.  It is, in truth the opposite.  It is a freedom, a feeling of self-reliance that satisfies me deeply.

I am, once again, a "real cyclist".  I'm "me", again.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always, sorry about the word verification. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.